Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Day 3 at GKI

Day 3

(Monday)

Today was exhausting.

This morning I talked more to Cheyanne, who was heading out to snorkel. She told me how she is/was a teacher and taught high school math and science in Canada for a year, and is now taking a year off to travel. She’s traveling however the wind blows her—no particular destination in mind. Following the Lonely Planet Guides. Guh. And since I’ve been here, I’ve met at least five people like that, who are more or less backpackers roaming the earth.


http://www.backpackers.com/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/


After that, Caroline and I got some writing done, got some reading done, and then watched as the Village was invaded by The World’s Most Beautiful Scandinavian Girls *gag*.


Next up: snorkeling! It was, after all, the whole reason we were here. So we grabbed some gear from Geoff and headed to the beach. After confessing to Caroline that I’d never done this before, she confessed that she’d only done it once before, so that made two of us who had no real idea what we were doing. Thankfully, after sucking saltwater for half an hour, we got the hang of it. The hardest part is learning to breath with your face in the water, after all. And with the flippers, I can actually swim! The water was too sandy to see anything, but we’d heard that you needed to go out to the rocky outcropping so that’s where we went.


I may have gotten the hang of snorkeling, but looking where you’re going is another matter all together. I found the rocks half a second before I crashed into them, scratching my knee on the clams that cover them. We reoriented and kept searching, but the longer I swam around just barely able to see my hand in front of my face, the more paranoid I got about running face-first into a jellyfish. (Even though Geoff adamantly denied their presence…)



After a fruitless first attempt at snorkeling, we went back to doing what we do best: writing. We watched the sun set:






And while we were cooking up some freebie pasta in the community kitchen, we talked to Matt, who had gone snorkeling earlier with Cheyenne and saw all kinds of tropical fish including barracuda, lion fish, puffer fish, and a handful of other blue and red and yellow ones. Jealously, we looked at his pictures and promised him that we’d try again tomorrow.


We ate dinner in the darkness and were once again visited by Kitty.



I was good this time and didn’t feed him—I felt bad since last night, Kitty attacked the garbage cans by the kitchen and made a mess, probably because I gave him the bread. Shame on me. But let’s see you try and resist that face! Tonight, he came so close that I jokingly told him to hop up on the table and have some dinner—only to be scared to death when he actually jumped up on the back of my chair! If I hadn’t jumped, he would have climbed in my lap and wouldn’t THAT have made a good picture. *sigh*


But here's someone that did make a good picture:

In bed, we watched Kitty’s shadows on the tent roof and finally, I slept fairly well.

Still woke up halfway through the night convinced Kitty had chewed a hole through the tent and was crawling around under my bed though.

No comments: