Saturday, November 21, 2009

Creation Con Chicago 2009 Report

Day Two (Saturday, November 14th)

Guests:
Dessert Party





Another night in HELL.

Let me take a minute to fully describe the circumstances here.

Wyndham hotel is pretty big, and pretty nice. Great big rooms for conventions. Nice lobby. Surprisingly few toilets in the downstairs bathrooms (come on guys, three??) and it’s faster to take the stairs than the elevators, but I could overlook that stuff.

The hotel has two towers. One is connected to the conference rooms, but the main tower is separate. Room 268 is in the original tower. Meaning we have a bit of a walk to get to the conference rooms, but walking is good for you. But not only are we on the ‘other side’ of the hotel, we are also on the VERY FAR side of the other side, at the end of the longest hallway known to hoteldom, and our window has a brilliantly unobstructed view of the rooftop and oncoming freeway traffic.

And it’s fucking hot.

Perhaps because it was the middle of November, the heating had been turned on. It is, after all, supposed to be cold and snowing. But did they think it was funny that a convention of 1300+ fan girls were melting? I kid you not, my protein bar melted on Friday. I DID NOT NEED A JACKET.

I got a shower before breakfast because it was Misha Day and I was afraid of smelling like two flamboyant bird dogs. We met Carol and Lia and Sandy for breakfast and guess who else is there--Amanda (our neighbor in Lawrence)! She was sitting with Amy and Karen but we got the table next to theirs and from that point on kept in fairly regular contact. The food was pretty good but it’s really the coffee I show up for, and after a couple cups it was show time.

The first speaker for the day was Richard (the Trickster) who served as a last-minute fill-in for Jake Abel (the long-lost Winchester brother). Although I was never a huge fan of the Trickster (enjoyed the character but hated finding out he was really Gabriel), I was very pleasantly surprised to find out what an awesome guy Richard really is. He was so animated and humorous, and upon being asked if he’d ever been pranked on-set, shared with us a greatly entertaining story that I’m sure has spread through fandom like wildfire.
The transcribed version is this:

I’m doing the scene where I get stabbed. The officer, there’s a different guy laughing and it morphs into me. That actor, who’s name’s Gabriel by the way (laughing) was really nice and had a good time on the set and he said to me when he left “I’m leaving you a little thank you gift back at the base camp."
I said great man, nice meeting you.
I go back to base camp and I go to my trailer and in my trailer is my stuff. Sitting on the counter in my trailer neatly folded up are a pair of pumpkin colored men’s bikini briefs. I thought ‘what the hell, what kind of a gift is that?’
I get dressed, without the bikini briefs and I’m going to sign out. I’ve got the underwear and I’m going to the production office to see Adrian and the guys to sign out and I go “you’re not going to believe what I found.”
He interrupted me and said “Oh, by the way man that guy Gabriel he left these for you.”
Inside was two beers and a thank you card.
Well that makes sense.
Who the hell put their underwear in my room?

I’m thinking ah, the tall guys. Ha ha, they’re lots of laughs. Leave underwear in the Trickster trailer, ha ha ha.
So the next day on the set we’re doing the Dr. Sexy stuff and I say ‘lots of laughs guys’ and they’re like ‘what?’
‘Pumpkin colored bikini briefs I’m wearing them right now. You’re killing me.’
They’re stone cold looking at me at this angle (looking down) going (blank face).
And I was like, really? Underwear..my bad.
Who broke into my trailer and put underwear in there?
It’s weird. And it was clearly used. It had that wavy waistband. It had been washed a handful of times. It was clearly bizarre.

I did what anyone else would do, I signed my name to it and put it on the production trailer.
What am I going to do with it?
I find out the next day, somebody comes over to me and says ‘we know who’s underwear it is.’
I’m like ‘really who’s is it?’
The guy pointed in the other direction and…it’s Misha. (room explodes in laughter).
He’s like ‘That was my underwear.’
‘Why is it in my trailer?’
(Misha says) ‘I spilled soup on myself at the warehouse all over my wardrobe and I had to switch wardrobes and I spilled soup down my pants, so I happened to have an extra pair of underwear and I put it on.'
‘ I said ‘Pumpkin colored bikini briefs?’
(Misha) ‘It was the last pair I had.’
(Richard) ‘Why would you have that pair?’
He said ‘They were a gift from a fan.’ (Huge laughter from the crowd again).

The rest of the story goes that the wardrobe department found them covered in his trailer and washed them and put them in his trailer not knowing who else would wear pumpkin colored bikini briefs.
Richard finishes the story with this:
“So I went back to the production office, took them off the wall, turned them around and wrote on the back, ‘This pair of underwear smells like Cas.’
That’s his contribution to the production office.




Richard had everyone laughing hysterically and definitely stole the show Friday. I don’t think anyone missed Jake’s absence, and I know Richard will always be welcome at conventions. I know I’d love to see him again!

Next up on stage was Aldis, who was a pleasure to listen to. He was very awake and friendly and animated, and as questions were asked it became quite obvious that I was not the only Leverage fan there. While answering the question ‘what would you do if you couldn’t act’, he told us that he enjoys taking things apart and has a ‘thing’ for gears and in fact, designs watches. He has the mind of an architect and sees rooms and buildings as measurements and structures. He spoke with passion, and everyone seemed to like him. Toward the end, he was goaded in to calling his girlfriend and the audience cooed over his sweetness.



Next to speak was Steve Carlson, looking a tad bit sniffly and in the beginning stages of a bug.



Each time I see the guy I feel more and more sorry for him. The room had emptied considerably--through no fault of his own. Due to a scheduling glitch, photo ops for Aldis were running at the same time and I think that after seeing him speak, more people than planned bought a ticket. Even Alisa, the most diehard fan I know, had to leave. But Steve remained a good sport and got his fair share of questions--especially with Aldis in attendance and the interest in Leverage and the upcoming Con Con in March, featuring Christian Kane’s band (appropriately named Kane), of which Steve belongs. I took tons more photos, glad for the brighter lighting after the concert, and Steve ran out of questions about the time his time was up anyway.

Tonya and I grabbed a quick lunch with Jeanne and Lia, and Dakota, the guy responsible for ‘handling’ nearly all the guest stars, stopped by to chat for a few minutes. Very talkative, young and good looking, and it makes me curious as to how one gets a job like that.

Jim Beaver took the stage next, and if you were blind you would have thought it was Jared or Jensen that walked out on stage. Everyone loves Jim. And he loves us, because the first thing he did was call us all idjits. Shortly after that, he stripped down to his t-shirt that read: ‘Kill ‘em all and let God sort it out’. I love that he enjoys what he does enough to support the show on his free time, however obscurely he does it. Jim is a great speaker and very animated and personable, but he doesn’t hold still for very long! His sense of humor is sharp, and he got the biggest laugh when he called Jensen and Jared fat, and that they were always sucking in their gut. Things turned somber when he was asked about his book, which is called ‘Life’s That Way’, and is about his personal loss.



Time was almost up when Jim asked for the next question, and a male voice said, “What, you don’t care enough about these people to put on a suit and tie?” And the audience erupted in fan girl screams. Stepping out from behind the curtains to the right of the stage was Misha, dressed in a VERY sharp suit and tie that completely stole my breath. He continued to pick on Jim for a bit, who held his ground with dirty looks and his own witty comebacks, but quite honestly I don’t remember much about what was said. Apparently I am *that* big of a fan girl.

While he only joked with Jim for a matter of minutes before ducking back behind the curtains, I think Misha’s cameo completely derailed whatever concentration Jim could have held. He still left the stage with a standing ovation, and during a short intermission, the anticipation was palpable. Then, finally, it was time for Misha.

I have to be honest here, because it’s going to be apparent anyway.


I remember very little of what Misha actually said. In the hour that he was on stage, I took enough pictures to thoroughly embarrass myself. I could actually create a pretty seamless flipbook. Yeah, I have it bad. Very bad.



Misha’s first question was ’What is your favorite flavor of yogurt?’ to which the man rattled off a pretty extensive list--completely deadpan--as if he’d been just DYING for someone to ask him that. As if I wasn’t in love already.



He was asked about visiting Australia, and admitted he was quite disappointed that the kangaroos were not as plentiful as we Americans are led to believe. It turned into a mock-tirade about how he doesn’t like Australians, which I know was meant in jest. He was relaxed and confident, having an air of experience and depth. He sprawled out in the chair, and turned to face the question-askers directly. I don’t know that anyone got a straight answer, but I happen to love that quick, fresh, straight-faced brand of humor that is so opposite Castiel. He uses naughty words. He turned a few people off.

I thought he was captivating.



I’m not the only one.



And then, as if he weren’t entertaining enough on his own, here comes Richard out from behind the curtain and the two of them get into it over the pumpkin-colored bikinis! I so love the candid interactions between friends--I wish Creation would schedule their stars two at a time. I would gladly listen to banter and nonsense instead of answers (serious or not) to fan questions. *happy sigh*

As soon as Misha ran out of time, photo ops started. The process has been streamlined so much since my first con a few years ago. I remember waiting in line for what seemed like hours, but now the entire deal is over in under an hour. While it’s nice to not have to stand for so long, you pay for it when you’re in front of the camera. Creation was not allowing props or poses, so you wait on the line of tape with an assistant who will tell you if anything thing needs straightening while the person in front of you gets their picture taken, then you are directed to their place while that person is showed the exit. There’s time for a ‘Hi’ and then you and the actor face the camera together, then flash, then you’re moving out the door. I was only in the photo op room long enough to see two other people have their picture taken, then it was my turn, and I was still to blank-brained by seeing Misha in such a close proximity that I had no chance to savor the moment. Approaching him I was numb, probably not even breathing, then his arm is around me and I tried not to look like I was scared out of my mind, so I leaned into him and felt our sides touch but then more fear flashes (is it okay to touch him that much??) and then even as the camera clicks I know I look horrible but there’s no chance of a do-over. I walk away disappointed.

After all the photo ops are done, the autographing begins. Jim was set up on the right side of the stage and got started while Misha’s solo photos were finishing, then just as Tonya and I were almost to his table, he left to join Misha in the dual photos. We sat for a good while and waited, slowly sliding down the wall to sit on the floor, then at last Jim returned (with Misha in tow) and started signing again.

Autographs.

You are lined up for autographs by row, so the person you sit next to is who you’re in line with. It’s fair, and works well. To streamline the process, two assistants prowl the line--one person checks your ticket (because nothing at Creation is free) and the other person writes your name on a post-it so that you can stick it on whatever you’re having signed, so that the signee doesn’t have to ask you for a spelling and thus eliminating one possible chance at conversation. When you get to the table, you must put your item on the table in front of the ‘handler’, who asks you where on the item it is to be signed, and then they slide it in front of the actor who doesn’t even have to look up.

Last time I got an autograph from Jared and Jensen, there was no eye contact.

Jim made eye contact.

He seemed taken aback by the model Metallicar that had been slid in front of him, and looked up at me with a rather impressed expression on his face. He didn’t say much, but signed it carefully and played with it a little before rolling it back to me.

Only one signature and already it looked great! Jim’s name printed on the driver’s side looks almost like graffiti. I loved it.

Next Tonya and I jumped to the second autograph line, to wait for Aldis, Richard, and Misha. There was a flash of guilt as I lay down stock promo pictures for Aldis and Richard to sign, while in my other hand I cradled the Metallicar. But whatever. I had a plan.

I don’t read much fan fiction anymore, but thanks to Tonya and some serious digging, I have found two really great writers who focus on Castiel (whumpage). And in one story, which is so great I’ve actually replaced it as the season 4 premier, Castiel is on the run with Sam and Dean and to protect them from the evil creatures chasing them, draws a protection symbol in the dew on the roof of the Metallicar. That scene haunts me (there’s much more to it, of course) but it made me think about the scene in the season 3 finale where Cas uses his blood to draw the angel banishing symbol in order to save Dean. I thought, with all the takes and re-takes that the guys must do, there’s a pretty good chance Misha knows the symbol and could add it to his signature. That’d be kick-ass, right?



As soon as he saw the car, he smiled. We confirmed that I wanted him to sign the roof, then I asked him if he remembered the symbol and could draw it, even if it wasn’t exact. His face fell a little--he didn’t remember but reached for my paper bag and began to practice as I told him he could just make something up. After one half-hearted attempt he asked if I remembered it, and I said no (I knew enough to know it wasn’t what he’d just drawn, anyway) then he laughed and said ‘Well I really could just make something up then, couldn’t I?’ and started to put his Sharpie to the trunk. I panicked--the trunk was Jared’s space!!--and told Misha that it was okay, thanks for trying. He said your welcome (with a bright smile) and rolled me the car. I walked away numb.

I think I’m STILL high.

If I was proud of the car before, now I was getting downright overprotective. I carried it like it was made of glass, and things only got worse after that.

After that, there was relief. We were done until the dessert party at 10. Kati, Lia and Jeanne found us, then Carol and Muffy and Sandy. We decided to break for dinner and meet in the lobby in fifteen minutes to grab something from the bar. Tonya and I ran up to our room and deposited our souvenirs and put the camera batteries on to charge.

Dinner was great--Tonya, Kati, Jeanne, Amanda, Sandy, Amy and Lia and I all grabbed a table and enjoyed conversation with pretty decent hotel food. We were all having a great time at the convention and looking forward to seeing Jared and Jensen. Poor Jeanne was so nervous about getting an autograph from Jared the next day that she couldn’t eat.

Tonya and I had time to empty our cameras of pictures before heading down to the dessert party with fresh batteries and clean SD cards. We knew we wouldn’t get many pictures--you’re not allowed to take them when the guests are moving from table to table, and it’s too dark anyway. I did manage a couple of Misha entering the room, but that was about it.

The dessert party was almost a bust. Creation miscounted the number of Gold tickets and after releasing the entire room at once to go fill up from the buffet, quickly ran out of food. I grabbed a cup of the strongest coffee I’d ever had, while we waited and waited for the actors to arrive (they were still upstairs signing autographs). To keep us entertained, the emcees made a production out of judging centerpieces (if you knew enough--or cared enough--ahead of time to have made one for your table). Which, no one at our table did.

Then the stars arrived: Aldis, Richard, Traci, and Misha. Jim was still signing autographs.
Each star gets three minutes to sit at your table and talk. Doesn’t sound like much time at all, but when you’re a table of introverts, even three minutes can be awkward. Traci provided her own distraction when I asked about her shirt--a white Castiel t-shirt she’d defaced by drawing glasses, a beard and breasts on a very somber-looking, winged Castiel. It was going to be auctioned for charity the next day and I have to admit, I thought about it for a few seconds. But then I had a better idea--next time I go to a con, I want Misha to deface his own Castiel shirt when he autographs it! (I know, I know--that would count as ‘personalization’ and GOD FORBID I take more than the allotted TEN seconds in line, but hey, a girl can dream…)

A little while later, Misha stopped by, still BLESSEDLY wearing his rock-star suit.



I apologize to anyone reading this to actually learn anything, because I blanked out again.

Cut me a break here. Let’s see YOU get within ten feet of Mr. Collins and still function properly.

However I think we immediately bored him and when he made eye contact with me, I redirected to our ‘impromptu’ centerpiece--a collection of empty cups and ice cream wrappers we’d piled together out of spite. But bless his heart, Misha played along and said he just could NOT understand why we didn’t win, and then started to play with the trash until he realized that it was real, honest-to-God trash then seemed a little icked out. Embarrassing.

There was a bit of a wait for the other two to make their rounds, and we passed the time by debating whether or not to nark on the trio of party crashers who’d implanted themselves at our table. On the one hand, I had to hand it to them for having the balls to sneak in. But the Gold ticket-holders did essentially pay to be at this party, so it wasn’t fair to us or Creation. We didn’t want to get them in trouble, so we didn’t say anything, but it gave us already tired and cranky girls something to bitch about.

Aldis sat with us next, and although he seemed comfortable sharing more information about the watches he designs, we ran out of conversation just before his time was up.

When Richard was at the table next to ours, we had a quick seating rearrangement--probably to the opposite effect of everyone else in the room, though. Each of us introverts was trying to NOT sit next to the empty chair, which ended up being beside Tonya when Richard took it, beer bottle in hand. But of course it came out that we had changed seats, and somehow *I* became the one who didn’t want to sit by Richard, so he gets up and sits on the same chair as me and leans in really close to ask why I was afraid of him. I probably would have wet myself if it had been Misha, but Richard was harmless and let up quickly. Though I don’t remember anything else he said…

The room was emptying and Sandy, Tonya and I left too, figuring Jim wouldn’t even get done with autographs for another few hours, as he’s been known to sign well into the early morning hours.

Should have waited just another half an hour.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Three toilets, 1300 fangirls and searing heat? Yup, that’s Hell alright.

You got me laughing right away. Two flamboyant bird dogs! I love those two flamboyant bird dogs and I miss them, but I can understand that their scent may not quite make the impression you were hoping for.

The trickster is an endearing repeat character. I found him somewhat annoying but I’ve heard that fans have taken to him. He sounds more personable in reality than on screen.

But seriously, pumpkin coloured bikini briefs!? How on earth does Misha show his face now that that’s public knowledge!? Present from a fan, my ass! *lol*

I can’t believe I didn’t recognise Aldis from Leverage. I’m a bad fan. Now if Christian had been there. *imagines*

Jim Beaver is definitely a favourite. Tara tells me how he’s on facebook and twitter and responds to fan comments. I gather he’s a bit of a father figure to a lot of people and he takes his responsibilities seriously. It’s good to see that in an actor. I’m glad his efforts are rewarded with the adoration he deserves. He’s a good man, from what I’ve heard, and he’s had more than his fair share of hard knocks.

Then Misha!! Your fangirl-ism is infectious. Reading your reaction makes me want to dive back into the series just for him. You’ll have to re-educate me when you visit. Clearly, my education is lacking. :-)

I’m not even offended that he mocked Australia. Tara informs me that he’s coming back, so he can’t have hated it too badly. Either that or the trauma of flapping across the big pond then suffering our terrible accents pays big bucks. I heard he complained about not having seen any kangaroos. You just know the poor bastard is going to be ‘gifted’ dozens of plush kangaroos when he does his next con here. That’ll teach him. *lol*

The photo-op experience sounds cattle-truck to me. It’s not something I’d be comfortable to do, but I understand why people do it. I remember (back in the dark ages) when fanclubs would post out autographed photos. I got a Bon Jovi one. It made my year. They were rare and precious. Getting a photo with a star was unheard of, unless you were a stalker. Now anyone can get one. It’s good, but bad. I wish there was some way they could accommodate everyone but in a more personalized way. I’m probably just old fashioned.

An autographed metallicar! Nothing beats that, my friend! Nothing!

You icked out Misha by having him play with trash! *hee hee* That’s awesome!

What another wonderful day. I wish I could have been there to share it with you.