Saturday, November 21, 2009

Creation Con Chicago 2009 Report




Departure Day (Monday, November 16th)



The hotel lobby is a ghost town.

We met with Lia, Alisa and Alisa’s friend for breakfast, with Muffy being a no-show. Laura was there waiting for her husband, so we chatted with her for a bit and traded dog stories until our hunger got the best of us. Alisa gave us a parting gift--her friend had made frosted guitar-shaped sugar cookies in honor of Steve, and Tonya and I got back too late last night to enjoy them with Alisa. I had pancakes for breakfast and we talked about our favorite moments of the convention. Alisa had to leave early to get to the airport. I wish I’d gotten to spend more time with her! I do owe her for turning me on to Steve…



Muffy showed up late, toting One Bun, her stuffed two-headed rabbit, and sat with her friend at another table. We accidentally left without saying goodbye, and I regret it.



After packing and checking out, we said goodbye to Sandy, who was driving home. I hadn’t spent much time with her before, even though she was at Kazcon. It’s hard for the committee to relax at Kazcon, though. So this weekend, I got to know her a lot better. If you’re ever needing a movie/tv/music buff, she’s your girl.

Lia took the shuttle to the airport with us, and we parted ways after a snafu with security over over-sized bottles of lotion Lia had given us as gifts. I got to keep the smaller bottle and the soap, but boy did I get the evil eye for that. Shame on me, trying to sneak in a lethal weapon inside that bottle of lotion! Lia will be back one day, maybe in a year to the Chicago Con 2010, taking my place next to Tonya.

Another crossword puzzle during the flight, then touched down in a grey and raining Missouri.

We stopped at Panera for soup and ate lunch watching Dexter, after Tonya checked on her litter of 6 stray kittens. They’re so cute when they’re helpless…

I got home fairly early, at 7:30, and found that mom had done some housework for me while I was gone. I called her to thank her while I unpacked.

And NOW:

The Metallicar sits on my bookshelf, top shelf, still wrapped in plastic and in mint condition. It’s amazing how one toy car can hold so many memories and emotions.



Thank you to all my friends!
I hope to see you all again soon!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

What a wonderful weekend! Thank you for sharing it so that those of us who couldn't be there in person felt as though we were.

What's this about you not going next year though? I hope you change your mind. Weekends like this are rare and life is short. Start saving now.