Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Monday (April 5)



Today was one of the best days ever. Caroline and I did yoga outside under the prettiest country sky... hundreds of white fluffy clouds against brilliant blue, and a clear yellow sun giving off gentle warmth. The birds were fluttering about and singing from the trees.

Caroline drove Hillie and I about an hour east to visit Caroline's 91 year-old grandmother in the Rochester hospital. They have a really nice elderly nursing wing, and extremely friendly and caring staff. Hillie's brother John was already there visiting and flirting with the nurses. ;) At his request, Caroline and I signed a guest as per the ritual for all Aaltje's visitors, and the book held quite an impressive list of names. And above her bed was a large collection of black and white photos of the family, some dated 50 years before they moved to Australia from Holland. We would all hope to feel so loved when we're at that stage of our lives.

At lunch time, we headed out to Dawn and Ap's house for an Easter BARBIE. They live on a 16-acre farm and own 20 horses, a great dane, numerous barn cats, and are fostering an injured Gallah that crash-landed in their back yard. John showed up too, as well as many other relatives and everyone contributed to the menu. Caroline and Hillie prepared some potato salad and marinated chicken, which was added to the grill with a huge spread of steaks, burgers, and hot dogs. There was an immense amount of food: salads and macaroni salad and chips and crackers and dips and fries and crab and breads and later, a delicious chocolate/mint cake and vanilla ice cream. Everyone was so welcome, and I immediately felt welcome. As we ate, I heard all sorts of hilarious stories about John and Ap working on the dairy farm, and I could see a lot of my own grandfather in them both. Everyone was so happy and relaxed, and the weather was perfect.

After eating, Ap took us on a tour of his land. He showed us his new-used car, which seemed to be in mint condition despite being 7 years old--and I had to mention how my own grandfather cares for his cars as well. ;) Then we headed out to the PADDOCKS and the horses took interest and came up to the fences. My 8 year-old tour guide, Jay, told me each of their names and was obviously quite comfortable (and talented) with them. Ap took us to see the irrigation canal and told us how it was dug with actual horse power many years ago, and how the flow control has recently been converted to solar power. Heading back to the house, we walked right through a paddock with 4 very friendly horses, which sent me to all kinds of heaven. I had to practically be dragged away. It goes without saying that I've got a zillion pictures!












Just before we headed out, Ap's wife Dawn (along with Jay and little sister Ella) took us out to see the new colt, who hadn't been handled much and was still just a (white) shadow of his mother. When we got back to the house, the dogs had been released (they'd been tied out back while the food was out) and I tried to get some action shots of a Staffy playing fetch but I'd just about killed the camera battery by that point.

So we said goodbyes and headed off back home, stopping for a while at the cemetery to visit Hillie's father, who'd passed away exactly 16 years ago. It was a beautiful final resting place with lots of flowers and cared for grounds. Very peaceful.

We drove home under a beautifully simple sunset. I can't describe how amazing it is to stand upon a stretch of flat earth and be surrounded by an unbroken sky, to turn 360 degrees and not see a single building... it's just such a powerful feeling that I often forget about, and that some people have never experienced. It's inspiring, uplifting. To remember that you are but a tiny speck upon this magnificent planet, coexisting with so many animals and plants and subject to whatever weather mother nature throws at us... It was a perfect ending to a perfect day. I'll remember it fondly forever.

Side-notes:

1. There are locusts. Like, Apocalyptic amounts of locusts. They litter the road and sound like hail hitting the car. It's amazing.

2. I am peeling.

3. The Australian mosquito sucks. It's bite resembles poison ivy and that totally freaks me out. By they're extremely agile bastards.

Or else I have unbelievably poor aim.

4. I went to the DUNNY last night and scared a mouse. :D I'm totally naming him Squeakers. And coincidentally, as I write this, he just ran out of my room.

Tomorrow: writing and trolling the town. And Wednesday, steak night at the pub!
NIGHT!

No comments: