Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thurday, April 1--MOVIE DAY


This morning we finished Into The Wild and then lazed our way through Conversations with God and Life as a House. I've seen Into the Wild once before, long ago, and it was just as powerful the second time around. I can rave about this movie for DAYS, so just take my word for it: if you want a long film and enjoy exploring another lifestyle, this true-life movie can't be beat.

Conversations with God was originally a trio of books, basically transcribing the author's 'conversations' with God. Even if you're not a highly spiritual person, the film is still enjoyable and simplistic, and is packed with many take-home lessons with which you can enrich your life. Caroline owns all three books so afterward, she brought them out and I am slowly making my way through the first.

Life as a House was another surprisingly good movie, laced with spunky dialogue but based on some truly emotional situations. The character arcs are bold and satisfactory, and the ending is both morose and fitting. Those that enjoy Hallmark movies would enjoy this movie, which I consider to be superior but cut from the same cloth.

And then since we were doing so much introspection, decided to pop in The Art of Happiness book on tape--CASSETTE TAPE, that is. Even though we only completed one of the two tapes, I've got four pages of notes. Narrated in part by the Dalai Lama, the advice within is insightful and exploratory. Caroline and I had to pause after each side of the tape to reflect on what we'd learned. The purpose of living is to be happy, but happiness is not easily attained. There are many secrets that when applied, will positively influence anyone's life.

For dinner we had a warm salad made of produce from Caroline's garden (and added tuna on top):


We sat down to watch some mindless TV after all this serious soul-searching, and skipped between a show about vacation getaways, So You Think You Can Dance, and some show on weird-ass food where the chef made meatballs to look like fruit, a pigeon pie with actual pigeon, and for dessert, edible tableware. The silverware was made of chocolate and dusted with silver, the decorative walnuts were marzipan, and napkins were sheets of icing, and the CANDLES WERE WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLED WITH CARAMEL SAUCE. Guh.

But like St. Patrick's Day, I didn't even realize it was April Fool's until it was over. *whine* That's the curse of being on vacation and losing all sense of time. :)

1 comment:

Caroline said...

April Fool's Day!? Well, crap... and we didn't even prank each other.

Watching movies all day is pure indulgence. Thank you for indulging with me. As you said, the movies were diverse but enjoyable and each made me think. Into the Wild challenged my preconceptions about an individual's place in society and their acceptance of that. Though I've yearned to break away from the ingrained rituals of work/sleep/eat, I've never imagined doing as Chris did and breaking away entirely. I question the basis of his motivation and also encourage others to watch the movie. It's a great one to discuss, made even stronger by the fact it's based on a true story.

I enjoyed and needed today. Thank you. It warms me to know you made good of it as well. *hugs*