Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 5: Whistler


Our last free day of exploring. And possibly the best...



A two-hour drive through the mountains landed us in the town of Whistler, recently made famous for hosting the Winter Olympics. Mountains loom above the quaint, polished town. Ski trails wound down the sides of them, though it was too warm for them to be in use. Ski shops, restaurants, and high-end department stores line the pedestrian paths. Tonya and I ate lunch at the Bread Garden, because it sounded promising and the other restaurants were busier. The service was very slow and the food mediocre, but not bad. I had a spinach quiche:



After lunch, we booked our horseback ride. First, my credit card was declined so while I was on the phone telling someone that yes, I really WAS in Canada, Tonya took care of the bill. Then we were weighed and made to sign the 'If-I-Kill-Myself-I-Will-Not-Sue' waiver, then we were asked about our footwear; no opened toed shoes were allowed. Tonya was wearing sandals.

There was a heated argument between the activities girl and Tonya, and a lot of waiting and glaring and threats, but finally they agreed to make an 'exception'. Tonya and I and two other couples (man and girlfriend, mother and daughter) were led to a van that smelled of Horse. A ten minute drive and we were there--a surprisingly bare setup compromised of two circular pens, a small tack shed, and a lean-to. Twenty or so horses stood in the shade, looking extremely bored.



Our bus driver opened the doors for us and then proceeded to help the tour guide with the horses. There was a deal of friction when our group of six turned out to be four more than she had been told originally, so there was a slight wait as she saddled more horses. I saw myself in her for a minute, bitter over a mix-up from the front desk at work. Perhaps I overreact a little...

Tonya was one of the first to get assigned a horse, and I was one of the last. Tonya got a handsome brown male with a white blaze named Denver. I got Asia, a 'stubborn' girl who I would have to be 'firm' with. I cursed inwardly. It was impossible for me to be heavy handed with any animal, let alone one that I am a tad intimidated by.



We were put into order based on which horses got along with which. I was bringing up the rear and Tonya was in front of me.



Our ride wound through a forest and over two streams, with a lakeside rest stop at the halfway point. The view at the lake was AMAZING. The water was blueish green from the glacier that fed it, and the surrounding mountains were snow-capped. Our trail leader took pictures of everyone, and gave us time to take our own pictures, and then we headed back.


The horses did not like the muddy spots on the trail and would try to walk around them--inadvertently brushing us riders against the trees. We were told to not let them do this, but as I said, I am not a heavy-handed person. Asia and I seemed to have reached an understanding, though, and after comforting her when she spooked at something in the trees, I felt that we had a degree of communication. Tone of voice is universally understood, by all animals and languages. Instead of 'kicking her' to keep her from nibbling, I gave her a mild tug on the reins and gently warned her. In short, I spoke to her like she was a dog, and I believe she responded and even showed me her sense of humor. I gave her the lead as much as I could, but she disapproved of the 'no nibbling' rule by running me into the tree branches. And you know what? I didn't care. I love that she had spark, had a sassy streak. Some of my favorite dogs are the bitchy old females who'd rather try to nip you than let you put a leash on them. Asia was a good horse. If it's possible to 'get to know' a horse in an hour, I think I did.



When Tonya and I got back into the town, it was only early afternoon. Too early to go back to the hotel! So as a last-minute decision, we bought tickets for the 'Peak to Peak' adventure ride and made our way to the gondolas. Peak to Peak is a ride in a twenty-person gondola from the peak of Whistler to the peak of Blackcomb mountains, obviously providing an incredible view. And just to get to the peak of Whistler meant a ten minute ride in an eight person gondola, similar to our ride up the side of Grouse Mountain. Tonya and I were the only two in the gondola going up, but the Plexiglas was pretty scratched up and not very conducive to pictures. :(



The top of the mountain was chilly. There weren't any activities, and none of the ski lifts were operating. Tonya and I got in line for the Peak to Peak and wound up on a glass-bottomed gondola with a handful of other adults.

The ride across the mountain tops was breath-taking. I think I took pictures non-stop.




And on the top of Blackcomb: SNOW.



Blackcomb had a restaurant, where Tonya and I used the bathroom, but aside from hiking one of the many mountain-top trails, there wasn't much to do. But with these kinds of views, you can't be disappointed.



We rode the gondola back to Whistler and headed back down to the town. About midway down, we spotted bears! Wild ones, a grizzly and two black bears directly beneath us! It was really special, but there was no time to get a picture. :(

Out of money and out of energy, Tonya and I headed back to Vancouver. Dinner was at Cactus Club again, because so much on the menu sounded great last time. This time, I ordered the butternut squash ravioli...



YUM.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Don’t wear open-toed shoes while horse riding. I’m taking notes. ;-)
The views are amazing! And your connection with Asia is beautiful. I believe that you did connect. If anyone could, you could! You are an animal whisperer. I learn from you and admire your gift!
Did I read right?? A glass bottomed gondola!? Ack! Seriously!? Do you mean that it was see through beneath your feet? Surely not….
The photos of the views are so beautiful! What an amazing place! I’m so glad you got to go there! And snow!!! *squeeee!*