Friday, March 19, 2010

Day five: Tuesday March 16



After waking up late and watching All Saints Day as we ate breakfast, Caroline and I took Paddy to the pet store.

There were bunches of nice collars and leashes and even big-dog jackets, and I looked really hard but didn't find the perfect one for my dogs. The selection of stuffed toys was a little different from the same old animals I'm used to seeing at Pet Smart, but I still think it's ridiculous to pay $25 for a stuffed animal the dog is going to shred when the thrift stores have loads of them for twenty five cents. And the selection of treats is a little narrower, with more focus on biscuits instead of semi-soft meaty bits. Both Iams and Science Diet have a prominent display among the dog food, and even Pedigree. Caroline bought some food for her dogs and as we were driving away, we spotted another pet store so we swung a U-turn and stopped to check it out. The food she'd just bought was cheaper, and almost everything seemed to be on sale... almost to the point of a store-end clearance. This pet store had animals for sale including fish, birds, and puppies. I was hesitant to look but the room they were kept in was fairly nice, with shredded paper for bedding and ample space to play (there were three pairs of puppies separated by dividers). They had water and toys and the pair of Staffy mixes that were awake seemed alert and happy.





After leaving empty handed, we stopped by a fruit market to pick up ingredients for slushies. I grabbed us a watermelon and some peaches and strawberries while Caroline and Paddy waited outside--it was so hot! Once we got home, we blended up the watermelon with some ice and lemon juice and got this:



I had brought any shorts with me because it wasn't supposed to be this hot, so after a rest with the slushies we went out and I picked up three pairs of shorts and Caroline picked out a big straw hat for each of us. Now I'm ready for the beach!!

The night ended peacefully with dinner and TV. Tomorrow: Diggers!

No comments: